Coping With The Challenges Of Studying Geography



As a student, I was fascinated with reading social science. It was, by far, my favourite subject to read, make notes on and answer questions. However, the only branch of social science that I had a little trouble with was having to study geography. There was a lot of semi-scientific terminology and I had trouble remembering the names of various kinds of geographical features and phenomena. This sort of apathy towards a specific branch of the social sciences continued to trouble me even as I moved to my sophomore and subsequently my senior secondary years in school as I was studying humanities. Since I have some similar pedagogical and retention-related issues in certain other subjects like biology and maths, I think I may be able to get to the root of the problem.

As it turns out, it is a simple issue after all. I realised that I had no trouble recollecting topics from the subjects that I actually enjoyed reading about. For instance, history and political science, if you can excuse the boastful sentiment, have always been my forte. It was actually mostly because I used to be, and to a more moderate degree still am, very curious about the history of everything including and especially politics. I have remained, to this day, fascinated by political theories, arguments and philosophies of governance. In other words, what aids and abets learning the most are interest, and what hinders it is the lack thereof. If you face similar issues, or learn your subjects without getting bored, join Extramarks and get access to ICSE class 7 representation of geographical features study material, fun content and test series of all major boards and all classes in the K12 segment. Download the app now. 

Comments